A manual for cleaning women

Rating: 8/10

 A manual for cleaning women by Licia Berlin was the short story that our group chose to read for the group discussion. This was my choice and I am very satisfied with the story. 

Author's narrating style was very unique and special. Narrator uses restrained and omitted narrative style. Therefore, I can see a description that reveals both complex and trivial emotions with minimal words. And in her narrative, Lucia Berlin Look wrestles with the implications of her fortune position as juxtaposed with the extreme poverty around her. 

I liked the story because this story is quite realistic and interesting. In the beginning, I didn't have any expectations of a turnaround. But in the end of the story, I had a deep impression of whole story and the ending. In the ending, Maggie cries. This is my favorite part and I realized that Maggie was decided to suicide because of her blue, but she overcame the suffering and is trying to live again.

There were some discussion points in this story. One was what is the skin color of Maggie, and why she steals sleeping pills. Lastly what is the reason that Maggie don't think herself as a cleaning lady. 

댓글

가장 많이 본 글